Sunday night was the Academy Awards, and while I don't usually make a big thing out of it, a friend of mine decided to host an Oscar party this year. It was a girls night of food, martinis, movie stars, and fashion. It couldn't have been more perfect!
After noshing on dips and ratatouille, we dug into these red velvet brownies. While they may not be the prettiest dessert, they were scrumptious. Especially topped with a cream cheese icing. I admittedly have a little problem with brownies, and generally butcher them while cutting. To make up for that I tossed some gold sprinkles on top to make them a little glitzier. I mean the Oscars call for some gold right?
Red Velvet Brownies
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray and 8-inch square pan with cooking spray, line the pan with foil (allowing the foil to hang over the edges of the pan), and then spray the foil with cooking spray. I use the baking spray that has flour in it.
- In a small bowl, combine the cocoa powder, food coloring, and 1 tsp of vanilla. Mix together until there are no clumps. Set the mixture aside.
- Beat together the butter and sugar for about 2 minutes until it's light and fluffy. Then add the eggs and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the cocoa mixture to the sugar and butter mixture, and combine until they are well blended together. Add the flour and mix until it's just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes (I actually ended up adding another 2-4 minutes to the baking time). Remove from oven and let cool completely in the pan.
- Ice the brownies once completely cooled.
Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2-2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
*And if anyone has tips on cutting brownies and preventing all the cracking, please share! I'm guessing there are lots of us who would like to hear :)